Farm Business Planning
Farm business planning involves developing goals for the business, describing approaches to achieve specific goals, and evaluating how well the goals have been achieved. Information from this process is used to revise existing goals or create new ones and identify ways to implement them. Farm business planning is an ongoing process that combines a medium- to long-range perspective with implementation and evaluation activities. The sites listed below will provide excellent help to develop a business plan.
These sites provide general information on farm business planning. Each site opens the door to an array of related topics.
- Purdue Extension - This site provides an excellent list of publications including, but not limited to, such topics as making a business better or bigger, value added agriculture and business tools.
- Ag Risk Education Library - Excellent site that provides many useful publications. Click on Ag Risk Library.
- Key Financial Measures for Farm General Managers - Key financial measures are important to know how you stand financially.
- Farm and Ranch Business Management Functions - Goal setting is important for a business to run efficiently.
These sites provide more specific information on business planning. Please refer to the brief web site description for more details.
- Alternative Agronomic Crops - This article provides a guide on what to consider when expanding your crop selection to reduce risk.
- Organic Crop Production Overview (scroll down) - A how to guide for farmers looking to diversify through incorporating organic crops in the farm.
- Entertainment Farming and Agri-Tourism (scroll down) - This publication discusses agri-entertainment, a new highly consumer-focused type of agriculture.
- Bed and Breakfast: Hosting Travelers for Extra Income - Using a bed and breakfast to supplement your farm income.
- Direct Marketing as a Value-Added Opportunity for Agriculture
- Local Food Connections: From Farms to Restaurants
- Smart Pricing Strategies - This article helps to decide what is the best price for your product.
- Whole Farm, Profit Objective Pricing - This article helps plan how to price commodities to make a profit that covers all expenses.
- Pork: Marketing Alternatives (scroll down)- This publication suggests that sustainable hog producers consider alternative marketing approaches for their pork.