Skip to Search
Skip to Navigation
Skip to Content
Skip to Search
Skip to Navigation
Skip to Content
Frequently Asked Questions

1. How does the Coordinated Program in Dietetics (CP) enable an individual to become a Registered Dietitian?

The American Dietetic Association, through its credentialing agency the Commission on the Accreditation of Dietetics Education (CADE), establishes the requirements necessary for an individual to earn the credential "Registered Dietitian." In order to be eligible to sit for the Registration Examination for Dietitians an individual must have completed the following:

  • Baccalaureate degree from an accredited University
  • A CADE accredited dietetics program curriculum
  • A minimum of 1200 hours of supervised practice experience

Students in a CP, such as the one in the Department of Allied Health Sciences, complete all 3 necessary components in 4 years plus a 6 week full-time summer externship which immediately follows graduation. Individuals completing the requirements of the program are eligible to sit for the national certification exam upon completion of the program.

2. Do you accept Freshman directly into the Dietetics program?

No. The (CP) is a program that begins in the Junior year. This is a competitive process that takes place in the spring of the student's Sophomore year for admission in the fall of the Junior year. As a Junior, you are considered a Dietetics majors. Some students meet the criteria for Guaranteed Admission (follow link for details). All of the prerequisites must be met prior to program entry.

3. As a Freshman applying to the University of Connecticut for Dietetics, how do I initially apply for my first 2 years?

Freshmen may apply to the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources as an Allied Health Sciences (AHS) student. Once admitted to the University as an AHS student, the student will be assigned to one of our Department academic advisors who are knowledgeable about the prerequisite requirements for majoring in Dietetics as well as the University requirements for graduation.

4. Do you accept transfer students into the CP?

Yes. Transfer applicants will be reviewed on a space available basis once matriculated University of Connecticut students' applications have been reviewed and offers of admission have been confirmed.

5. Is the Dietetics Program a Bachelors or a Master's program?

Students completing the Dietetics Program receive a Bachelor of Science degree.

6. Do you accept second degree students who already hold a Bachelors or higher degree?

Yes, individuals may obtain a second Bachelor's degree from the University of Connecticut or they may elect to meet program requirements without the course work necessary for a University of Connecticut degree in our non-degree program. Potential students are strongly encouraged to earn a second degree. Students in either plan will receive a signed Verification Statement.

7. What is a Verification Statement?

A Verification Statement is a document that confirms that an individual has completed a dietetic program accredited by the CADE. It is signed by the Program Director stipulating that the academic and supervised practice requirements necessary to sit for the national Registration Examination for Dietitians have been met.

8. What is a Didactic Program in Dietetics?

A Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) refers to the undergraduate plan of study in dietetics that does not provide supervised practice experience. A Didactic Program is available at the University in the Department of Nutritional Sciences. After completing a Didactic Program and earning a Bachelor's degree, graduates must make a separate application to a Dietetic Internship program to earn the supervised practice hours necessary to take the national dietetics registration examination.

9. How many students do you accept to your CP?

We accept 18 students per class.

10. How often during the year do you admit student to the CP?

Admission to the CP occurs once per year. Students apply by February 1st. for admission the following Fall.

11. How many credits do I need to be eligible for admission as a Junior?

Although there is no absolute number of credits required for admission to the Junior year, students MUST have completed specific science and nutrition prerequisites and have earned approximately 60 credits.

12. When must I have my prerequisite course work completed to be eligible for admission?

Students must have completed the prerequisite requirements prior to the beginning of the Junior Fall semester.

13. Is there any requirement for Dietetic experience prior to application?

No. However, it is suggested that students visit a variety of work settings where dietitians practice (e.g. acute-care hospitals, long-term care facilities, school food service programs) or talk to people working in the field.

14. What applications need to be filed when applying to the CP?

Applicants must submit the Allied Health application (for Admission Information see: Admissions Folder C - Admission to Professional Programs Link ), and related documents, no later than February 1st of the year they want to matriculate. Applications for admission are available on the Department of Allied Health Sciences website at (Admissions Folder, D - Admission Professional Program Application and Supporting Documentation Link)

In addition to this application, transfer applicants must also file a University of Connecticut Application for Undergraduate Admission that is available through the University Admissions Office. While the university application deadline for a fall matriculation is April 1st, transfer applicants to the Dietetics program MUST have a university application on file by the program admission deadline of February 1st in order to be considered for admission.

15. Do you accept International Students?

Yes. In addition to the Department of Allied Health Sciences professional program application and university application; international students must also meet university admission requirements for international students. Specific requirements can be found at: (Admissions folder, E - Admissions International Students Link)

Still Have Questions?

Ellen L. Shanley, MBA, RD, CD-N, Director, Dietetics Program.

about AHS
There has consistently been a high demand for graduates of the DGS Program and job opportunities are expected to remain excellent.

Dietetics Home Coordinated Program Undergraduate Post Baccalaureate Internship Contact

Coordinated Program

Career Options Admissions FAQ's Plan of Study (Traditional) Plan of Study (Masters) Student Achievements

Department of Allied Health Sciences
College of Agricutlture and Natural Resources
358 Mansfield Road, Unit 1101
Storrs, Connecticut 06269-1101
Telephone: (860) 486-2834
Fax: (860) 486-5375